Sylvain Beaumont has started his legal career in 1996 within the European Economic Law Department of Gide Loyrette Nouel where he has worked for 14 years. He joined in October 2010 the Paris office of the Canadian law firm Fasken Martineau before his arrival in LMBE on January 2013. Sylvain is a partner of LEXT (Paris office) since January 2017. Sylvain provides legal advice and dispute support and representation in Economic Law matters (distribution networks, commercial agency, unfair competition, anti-competitive practices and restrictive practices ), Consumer law and Regulatory matters (tobacco, biocidal products).
He assists French and International clients, active in the retail business (Food and DYI), tobacco products, pharmaceutical industry, apparel, fashion and luxury products. He has developed a specific legal expertise in disputes concerning restrictive practices (Sudden termination of long-standing commercial relationships and significant lack of balance in rights and obligation of parties to an agreement).
- Economic law, product regulation
- Competition, distribution, consumer law
- Civil and commercial litigation
- White-collar crime
- Insolvency and restructuring
- Industrial risk, defective product liability
- Transnational litigation (Discovery)
- Partner within the law firm LEXT (Since January 2017)
- Partner within the law firm LMBE (2013 to 2016)
- Partner within the law firm Fasken Martineau (from October 2010 to December 2012)
- Associate within the law firm Gide Loyrette Nouel (from August 1996 to September 2010)
- Admitted to the Paris Bar (1997)
- Postgraduate Degree in European and Business Law, Paris X-Nanterre University
- LLM (Master of Laws), Reading University (UK)
- Master in Business Law, Paris X-Nanterre University
- Degree in Law Studies with specialization in Anglo-American Law, Paris X-Nanterre University
- "Sudden termination of long standing relationships: consequences of the lack of transfer of a prior relationship for assessing the long standing nature of the relationship at stake" published in Revue Lamy de la Concurrence, April 2021
- Member of the editorial team in charge of the French legal encyclopedia "Lamy Droit Economique 2018" and of its update for the 2019, 2020 and 2021 editions.
- "A limited recognition of Article L.442-6 of the Commercial Code (former numbering of said Code) as an International Public Order Rule", published in Revue Lamy de la Concurrence, November 2020.
- "Conflicts of laws in unfair competition actions: the French Supreme Court clarifies the implementation of Section 6 of Rome II Regulation", published in Revue Lamy de la Concurrence, June 2020.
- "Contractual or tortious nature of the civil liability triggered by the sudden termination of long-standing commercial relationships: a missed opportunity before the French Supreme Court", published in Revue Lamy de la Concurrence, September 2019.
- "The judicial review of the price on the basis of the legal concept of significant lack of balance that is set forth in the French commercial code complies with the French Constitution", published in Revue Lamy de la concurrence, March 2019.
- "Restrictive practices : a new clarification from the French Supreme Court on the scope of Articles L.4426 I 2° and 5° of the French commercial code", published in Revue Lamy de la concurrence, February 2018.
- "The legal concept of significant lack of balance allows a judicial review of the price agreed between the parties", published in Revue Lamy Droit des Affaires, April 2017.
- "Nature of the legal action launched on the basis of the sudden termination of long-standing commercial relationships: the end of the tort era in international litigation", published in Revue Lamy Droit des affaires, November 2016.
- "Long-standing Commercial Relationships and Sale of Goodwill: a Welcome Clarification", published in Revue Lamy Droit des affaires, January 2016.
- "Long-standing commercial relationships and public order liability of the author of the sudden termination: what consequences for the contractual freedom of the parties", published in Revue Lamy Droit des affaires, April 2015.
- "New version of the information note of the French Consumer Protection Authority (DGCCRF) on the Hamon Law concerning commercial relationships", published in AJ Contrat d’Affaires, January 2015.
- "How the Hamon Law concerning commercial relationships is construed by the French Consumer Protection Authority (DGCCRF)", published in AJ Contrat d’Affaires, November 2014.
- "The law applicable to the sudden termination of a distribution agreement performed abroad or the introduction of a "measure" of contractual liability in the tort liability regime of L.442-6 I 5° of the French Commercial code", published in Revue Lamy Droit des affaires, September 2014.
- "Implementation of Section L.442-6 I 5° of the Commercial code to terminations caused by not-for-profit legal entities: challenging the immunity principle", published in Revue Lamy de la concurrence, July/September 2014.
- Speaker at the American Bar Association, Section of International Law, Spring Meeting (April 2013 – Washington DC) within the Panel "Harmonization of EU laws: the Rocky Road of Integration on Finance, Privacy and Culture".